Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Long Anticipated Post About the Wedding



Well, here's the proof, we are married! The speed in which we planned this wedding was probably record breaking. In fact, I went in to Seattle Hebrew Academy yesterday and a girl I used to work with said I even broke the Orthodox Jewish record for shortest engagement! Here's the timetable to help you understand the chain of events:

Tuesday, July 15: Fabio receives a job offer from Partner's Group

Wednesday, July 16: Emalei sends resumes to International Schools around Zug

Friday, July 17th: Emalei receives a job offer from The International School of Lucerne

Sunday, July 19th: Emalei and Fabio decide to get married on Saturday, July 26th

Saturday, July 26th: Emalei and Fabio are married

It all sounds crazy and rushed, but let's be honest. We've been dating for almost 2 years. We've been talking about getting married for a year. We knew we had to say yes to these job offers and to moving to Switzerland. We knew the only way to do this (on several levels) was to get married. We felt good about the decision and acted in the most timely manner possible so we could get on with other things. This is not the way either of us envisioned our wedding, but you do what you have to do, and everything turned out perfect...keep reading!

OK-now about the actual wedding. Ahhh...it was wonderful. No stress, no debt, no planning. We were married in Bruce and Jeannie Ricks's back yard. Bruce married us. Jeannie prepared a beautiful brunch. The yard was immaculate. The weather was perfect (a little warm in the sun during the ceremony). We only had 12 people attend, and it was perfect. It was intimate and we were able to be with and talk to everyone. As we drove away after lunch at the Apple Tree in Yakima, Fabio and I commented on how perfect the day was for us, and that if we had to do it again, we would probably do it the exact same way. It was so peaceful and lovely.

I had told my mom and Jeannie that we didn't want any special attention or big preparations. We are planning to have a reception in December when we come home for Fabio's graduation and Christmas, and we can do all the big celebrating then. But Jeannie surprised us and set up a beautiful brunch, and my mom got me a bouquet. I'm actually so happy they did both these things. It made it just special enough for us. Abbie took BEAUTIFUL pictures, and if we had to do it again, we'd for sure have her take the pictures! (Abbie-are you free in December to take pictures at the reception?) :)

3 comments:

The one and only dancer said...

Oohh, I've been anxiously waiting for this post. Sounds like you had a perfectly wonderful day. I envy you making a decision and going for it. Takes all the stress away from the junk that can come when "planning" a wedding.

The pictures are lovely and you look beautiful. Congrats, again, and we'll see you Saturday!

Jeanna (though I think I am logged in under sav's name)

Mrs. Olsen said...

What a whirlwind! I'm so excited for you and I think the wedding looks like it was beautiful!

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Well, I guess I'll forgive you for not getting a wedding invitation. :) All I have to say is, wow! You look absolutely gorgeous, Emalei, and it sounds like it was a beautiful and peaceful day. Congratulations!