Friday, February 13, 2009

The Bar, Benelux and Snow

Fabio is now over the Atlantic on his way to take the Bar. We have now officially boycotted Air France, FYI. They totally messed up Fabio's flight plans and they were so "French" about it; rude and unaccommodating. I know I'm being steriotypical, but I'm still upset that Fabio is getting into Seattle 9 hours later than he should have when it would have been totally possible for him to get there on time.

Fabio will spend the week in Seattle. He's going to get some last minute study review in, see my parents, see some friends and FINALLY take the Bar. I say finally only because our life has revolved around his study schedule, and he will be so relieved when this is all over. He only graduated in December, so really, it's not like he's been waiting forever to take it. But it's a biggie, and it will be a huge weight off our (mostly his) shoulders. Unfortunately, we won't know the results until May.

Coincidentally, this week is our school "Ski Week." I will be leaving for "Benelux" on Sunday. I know that most of you are wondering, "Where is Benelux?" That's what I thought too before about a week ago. Benelux is the region including the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. I will fly into Amsterdam on Sunday and be there until Monday afternoon. Then I will take the train to Brugge, Belgium where my cousin and his wife and four girls live. I'll stay with them until Friday and then come back home. I'll be touring alone. I plan on seeing Ghent and possibly Brussels while I'm there, but I'm also open to other ideas.

I have to say I'm super stoked about Amsterdam. I already have tickets to the VanGogh museum and I can't wait to see the Anne Frank house. I hope it's not too cold because I'm looking forward to walking the tree lined canals and visiting some of the parks. I'd like to also take a canal tour, but it could be a little pricey...

I have mixed feelings about traveling alone. I've never done it. I'm trying to be optimistic. I will have my nice new camera I can experiment with and I can spend all the time I want in the museums and not worry that someone else is getting bored. I LOVE museums, and could quite possibly spend hours upon hours in them in Amsterdam. The city is famous for its abundance of museums, and I don't plan on skimping there.

On a different note, it snowed all day yesterday, all night and this morning. I've really had about enough of the snow, but I can't complain when it is just so stunning! Yesterday our class visited a Swiss school in the mountains, and the kids went sledding together in the afternoon. They had a blast. I'll include some pictures of that, along with some photos of the view from my school today. I couldn't stop looking out the window.







This was the view this morning while it was still snowing:


This was the view this afternoon after the clouds cleared:

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Oh you will have so much fun! I will admit, traveling alone is not very fun but I think the nice thing is that you will get to hang out with Ann and girls in Belgium. Those little girlies will just make your whole trip. They will love that you are my sister and will just want love being around you. It will be nice to be able to go out and visit the city and then come back home to family. Even though you don't know them yet, you will leave feeling like you have found long lost family. :) Have so much fun and take tons of pictures! Also, take your camera manual with you and learn how to use the white balance, ISO, and how to shoot in Manual mode (meaning you must be familiar with shutter speed and aperture)

Jessica said...

I am starting to hate the snow too. Where is LA when we need it? Wah.

Emily said...

that is stunning yet i'm glad i'm not there... i'm here in LA where you and Jess wish you could be warm with me :) have fun on your trip...

Collette said...

Beautiful pictures. I'm with you on being sick of the snow. It can be spring aaany time now!
Have fun on your trip. It sounds like fun. Sometimes I dream about taking a vacation by myself to get to do whatever I want, whenever I want. Enjoy it.
I am happy to say that I learned something in one of my geography classes. I knew what Benelux was!
Your bus 21 stories were hilarious. I just read them.

Derek and Becca Theurer said...

Traveling alone is not all bad. I don't think it will ever be my favorite, but I have to say I have great memories of just sitting and reading by a river in Bath or walking the beautiful grounds of Blenheim Palace. It takes away some of the urgency of seeing everything and getting all of the sites in. If you enjoy something, you can just sit and enjoy it for as long as you like.
I am sorry that I can't come and travel with you. I'm sure it will be awesome. Instead, I'll just be sitting at my work with NO view, very ho hum.