Sunday, November 22, 2009

Christmas Italian Style

Buon Natale! In Italy, November 22 officially marks the start of the Christmas season. So...at our house, it's Christmas time! Fabio made the traditional petolle, a fried bread that is made only once a year...on November 22. I have to say, I was very impressed. Although it's a simple recipe, it involved yeast and frying, two things Fabio never works with. The end result was delicious, and way too indulgent. We allowed ourselved 5 each, but I stopped after 4. Whoa.

Apparently, the tradition is that the sheep herders come down into the city from mountains at this time of year and play their bagpipes for money, since they don't have a job during the late fall/winter. Fabio found some of this music online and we listened to it as he slaved away making petolle. I'll spare you the bagpipe music, but here are some photos of our petolle experience:









While Fabio was planning our heart attacks, I was trying to counter balance the effects by making a vegetable paella (a Spanish rice dish) using quinoa instead of rice. Although it was pretty delicious, I think next time I'll use rice. Quinoa is healthier, but rice is just more comfort foodish. Since I had my camera out, and the paella was a lot of work, I decided to snap a photo:



BUON NATALE A TUTTI!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

How fun! Will you make some for us too Fabuloso? p.s. I LOVE quinoa!

mom/Janet said...

I was just going to say the same thing. Will you make some for us?

Abbie said...

I'd like to know what you thought of the quinoa. I am not a fan. But those little fried things look delish! I love that you wrote that Fabio was planning your heart attacks. I had to laugh. :)

Jeanna said...

I've been wanting to try quinoa myself. Tell me, why do some people love it and others hate it? I honestly haven't even seen it up close and personal yet!

Brittany said...

despite the fact that i am opposed to christmas before thanksgiving (i'll forgive you since they don't celebrate t-day in italy (except according to venni on the movie my blue heaven)) i would like to come to your house for a buon natale feast! it looks delish!

Aunt Beth said...

He cooks?? What a guy. And not to be outdone dear, but you almost outdid yourself! Glad to see though that you've survived long enuf to record it for posterity.

Aunt Beth