Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 2 and 3: London and Rimini

All I have to say is, why didn't we do the British Museum the first time we were in Rome? When I found out a few months ago that the Rosetta Stone was there, I was so mad at myself for not going. Good thing we had a two day layover in London on this trip. We made up for lost time.

I know that England sure took advantage of the world by plunduring it and taking all their good stuff back to a museum in London, but at least we all get to enjoy it now in the comfort of a free museum. Any part of history you want to see (short of U.S. history), it's there in its fullest form.

As you can see, I had the most fun with the Rosetta Stone (which is a big part of my 6th grade history curriculum, and I intend on using these photos).



This was the only way to get a photo with the Rosetta Stone. The other side, no surprise, was far too crowded with gawkers like me:


Fabio with an Easter Island statue:


We were so excited to find a whole room dedicated to Greece's influence in Southern Italy, and about half the room was about Taranto, including a whole coin collection. This coin has Taras (who Taranto was named for) riding a dolphin, the symbol of Taranto. Fabio was very excited:


A funerary relief from 300 BC that says "Tarentino" (from Taranto) on it:


I was thrilled that they had a fake Rosetta Stone at the end that I could pretend to be deciphering. This should get some "Whoa, Mrs. Ambrosio's" out of my 6th graders:


We arrived in Rimini at 1am this morning. We ate at a pizzeria and have been taken around by Fabio's dad, our tour guide for the next few days. Four words: Italy is not warm.



Fabio's stepmom made us a yummy lunch, but as Fabio put it, "Aren't you a lucky American girl whose Italian inlaws are trying to make a pig out of you." Yes, and thank you:

4 comments:

Melissa DeLeon said...

The photo at the dinner table is cute -- which one is Fabio? (haha)

Love the photos at the museum. (A REAL Easter Island statue or a recreation?)

Now stop blogging and have fun! (Blogging is for when you are back here in rainy Seattle and are stuck inside day after day.)

Abbie said...

Dude, I'm loving the day by day update... makes me feel like I'm with you... sort of. :) This is the first time you have met Fabio's dad right? I remember March in Castelammare... freezing. Hang in there! It's going to be 78 here this weekend. :)

Brittany said...

man, i wish i had italian in-laws that wanted to make a pig out of me!

looks like you're having f-u-n!

mom/Janet said...

Really does look like you're having fun. I can just picture you walking around and checking everything out. Reminds me of fun times in Switzerland. Keep having fun.