Sunday, August 24, 2008

Things I Don't Like About Switzerland (So Far)...and Some Other Random Thoughts

Well, here's the promised list. I have to admit, I've been thinking about what I would post the last few days, and I've really had a hard time coming up with anything! Most of the things I don't like aren't Switzerland's fault! Some of them are my fault! But here's my attempt at a "don't like" list:

1. People don't smile at you on the street here. If they make eye contact, it's almost like a glare...but I must say, when you walk into a store, you're always greeted with a very friendly, "Gruetzi". (Imagine two dots above the "u"...and Fabio will laugh because I probably spelled it wrong.)

2. The food labels are written in three languages, but one of them is NOT English. They are the three official languages of Switzerland; German, French and Italian.
I usually look for the Italian since it's the easiest for me to figure out.

3. Stores close around 5pm. This includes grocery stores. Although this is nice for the employees (reference #7 on my previous post), when am I supposed to go grocery shopping if I don't get home from work until after 5pm? Sheesh!

Is it pathetic that this is all I can think of? I have to say, I really, really love it here! People keep asking me, "Are you having a difficult time adjusting?" I honestly have to say, I don't feel like I've had to do much adjusting. Granted, I have never lived abroad before, but I have moved all over the United States. Despite the language barrier (and remember, most people here can speak English), this is pretty much better than the U.S. in many ways, so...no complaints!

I just thought of one thing Fabio and I have talked about and this would definitely be on his list of things he does not like about Switzerland. It is SO expensive to eat out here and you don't get free refills on Diet Cokes! If you want to eat at a semi-decent place, it's going to cost you no less than 20 Swiss Francs, and that's on the low end. However, we also talked about how you can go to the grocery store and just by buying some bread and cheese, you have a better meal than you could find at most restaurants in America.

Again, sorry for no pictures. I'm dying without a camera. Once Fabio comes on Friday, I will hog the camera and just click, click, click away. I want to show you my new classroom. There are NO words for how amazing it is. If you look lower on the blog and see the pictures of the outside of my school, and you look at the picture of the back of my school, my room is on the very bottom floor with the double doors that lead out onto the terrace. The view of the lake is stunning and the room itself is like a museum with an old tile crest and woodworking above the door frames. I'll take pictures! You'll love it. Brides love it too. This weekend alone, there were three wedding parties outside my doors snapping wedding photos. I had to steer clear of the doors and windows lest I be bending over or in mid-stride in one of their photos!

This past week has been flooded with meetings at school, room and curriculum preparations. I'm still overwhelmed with how different their curriculum is. More about that later, but let's just say, I'm one busy girl. As much as I miss Fabio and long for his return to Switzerland, it's a good thing he wasn't here this past week, because I wouldn't have been nearly as productive as I was...and I'm still massivly behind!

Hopefully when I post again, I will be in the presence of Fabio and we will be moved into our new place in Zug! Yay for finally having a home again! (I've been homeless for about a month now!)

10 comments:

Jeanna said...

After my VV to Switzerland, I have to agree with the stores closing too early. I hate that, absolutely hate it. I am not a great planner when it comes to grocery shopping, I am sure closing early would force me to be better....but....

I'm glad you at least have a computer while you are there, because I can just sit and imagine how great it is!

Abbie said...

Ha ha. Jeanna is so funny. I remember having to get used to that too. But it's not just Switzerland (perhaps the 5pm thing is...) but all of Europe. I know in Italy, France and Belgium it was similar to that too... no late night grocery shopping. I kind of liked the quiet Sunday afternoons that were a cause of the grocery stores being closed. I sure hope I can come and visit you... Have you heard about the hikers missing on Mont Blanc at all? And once you get that camera... take lots of pictures!!

Aunt Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunt Beth said...

Stores closing early remind me of Brooklyn; they closed at 7pm there. Having come from 24/7 Salt Lake City, it took a bit of getting used to.

I think we can basically assume there isn't a downside to living in Luzern, right?

Aunt Beth

Jessica said...

So glad you're loving it so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Well...the fact that stores close early wouldn't be a problem for the average American...but Emalei gets ferocious when she's hungry and I am going to make sure there is always food in our fridge on every day of the week. Otherwise, she might start biting...ouch!

mom/Janet said...

As a mother, I'm just glad to hear that you are adjusted and loving school and enjoying your move. love you

Rebecca said...

You should know that I have barely even ever read a blog b4 and now I am posting! I just missed you so I wanted to say hi. It sounds amazing there and I am so excited to see pix!!

Collette said...

Everything sounds just as fabulous as I would have imagined.
I'm glad you're loving it. Yikes about the stores closing early though. I would have to be a little more on the ball.
I can't wait to see pictures...your pictures!

Abbie said...

Fabio... you are hilarious!