A few things I have noticed about my days follow:
1. I look at my watch A LOT. I have to if the only way for me to get from A to B is to rely on the public transportation schedule.
2. I spend a lot of time worrying and then sprinting, making sure I make the train that leaves only 4 minutes after my bus arrives and the bus is 5 minutes late!
3. Being married to an Italian who is happy to eat pasta day in and day out, I am getting to the point where I ask myself, "How will we eat the pasta tonight?" Instead of, "What's for dinner tonight?"
4. I'm starting to pick up German words here and there. I can also notice the difference between Swiss German and High German. Baby steps, Bob. Baby steps.
5. The US Open is on and I've gotten used to watching it with the volume down. By habit, I'll go to turn up the volume, then I'll think, "Am I really turning up the volume just to listen to German?" Sheesh.
I finally took some pictures (using my new snazzy cell phone, thank you Fabio for the hook ups). Here is what I see on a daily basis:
Looking up the path from school to the road (that I run up every day to ensure I catch my bus.)
The front of the International School of Luzern
Walking into my classroom
This really cool tile crest on the wall. I could never cover it up with a poster or anything!
How incredible is this wood work above the door? It has three separate years on it. All I know is that the first one is when the school was built. It was originally the residence of a wealthy family. Of course it's passed through many hands since, and was most recently a school for journalists.
The view of the lake from just outside the double doors that lead to my classroom.
Stepping out a little further. You can see the little chalet by the lake. There was a wedding in there today. My students wanted to spy.
A back view of the school. You can see my double doors open on the bottom floor.
An inside view of my classroom. The following picture is a look from the front of the room towards the back. You can see this old stove covered in ceramic tile in the back. (Yes, I actually did stick a poster on this one...I was desperate for space!) It's in an awkward place, but that's what's so great about these 200+ year old buildings!
The following pictures are of the outside and inside of our new apartment. It's ours until May 31. We're so happy here! It's big and spacious, well furnished, and quiet. It's nothing special, but after a few months, we finally have a place to call home again!
The view from the entry.
The office is to the right of the entry right as you walk in.
The living room/dining room. Do you notice the Obama posters on the windows? :)
View from the dining area.
Those probably weren't the most exciting pictures, but for those of you who cared to know what our new abode looked like, there you go. We love it. We are happy here. We are making an IKEA run tomorrow for a few odds and ends. Then, it's rest time (I've been sick), and planning time. I've been overwhelmed with school responsibilities, and Fabio already has a paper to write. I'm including all this information fluff lest you think that every weekend is spent galavanting around Europe. Someday we will be...after we finally get paychecks and get ourselves settled. We are in Switzerland, but it's still real life!!!
5 comments:
I like the fluff! :) And I love the photos. Do you like Zug? Or do you miss Luzern? Do you think you might move closer once you can move in May? Keep the posts coming. I'm loving them.
I like the fluff too. Funny how when we post that kind of stuff we think people aren't interested, but I am definitely interested.
I liked your pictures, and THANK GOODNESS for Ikea. Who doesn't love that place?
In response to Abbie: After being here for 4 days, we can say that so far we like Zug. We haven't really been anywhere yet. We want to go to the lake and the old city this weekend. We probably won't move back to Luzern. Fabio will work longer hours, and it's better if we live close to his office. Also, taxes are so much higher in Luzern. Where we lived in Luzern was quaint and fun because it was in the old city, but it wasn't at all functional. When you live in places like that you tend to get old, cramped, over priced apartments. We can go visit any time, and if I ever miss my train (will probably happen many times), I can always take a peaceful walk around the most beautiful part of the old town along the water.
I'm trying to work up some sympathy.
Seriously, love seeing all the pics and learning more of the day-to-day details. Guess I'll put my blog of life on Hawley Ave on hold for now.....
Aunt Beth
(PS: Is it necessary to have so many word verification letters??)
I forgot home much I loved the Swiss "flat" stoves. :) Oh, and now with your blog being private, you don't have any need for the letters.
Post a Comment