Sunday, September 14, 2008

Many, Many Wonderful Things...and Not So Wonderful

I've been sick all weekend. Boo. I called in sick on Friday and didn't leave the house the whole day. Saturday was touch and go. I ventured out to the grocery store with Fabio, and wow. You would think they were giving things away for free there are so many people there on Saturdays. We aren't the only ones who work so much during the week that Saturday turns out to be the shopping day. It also rained cats and dogs nonstop on Saturday. Really...I think it rains here more than it does in Seattle. I mean, there is a reason why it's so green.

I got to check out Fabio's new office (and now I'm mad at myself for not taking photos!) It's a really nice, modern space. There are like 100 desks per floor and he has his own desk and computer. He already has plenty to work on and is working 11hour days. Super. :)

So, here's the great story of the week. Fabio's department had a "retreat" on Wednesday night. They drove and then hiked up to a chalet in the mountains, had dinner, meetings and then all showered and slept together. Literally. It's quite hilarious. Fabio stayed up all night trying to keep his earplugs in his ears and had to shower next to his boss. Lovely. Here are some photos of where he went. It's beautiful, huh? Nothing like having to have work meetings to make it just slightly less beautiful though:





Ok, onto the wonderful. Fabio and I went to Basel today. We were ready (well, I was ready) to see something besides Zug and Luzern. Fabio really likes Basel. He served 6 months of his mission there and he really, really liked it. We visited Basel for about an hour when we were here last summer, and for many reasons, we did not have a good experience there, so Fabio wanted to redeem it. And that he did! We had a good time, and I have a new found love for Basel. (I've actually always had a soft spot for Basel seeing as the second love of my life, Roger Federer is from there...) Here are just a few pictures of our day. I can't download pictures from my camera onto my computer because my computer is too prehistoric, and Fabio hasn't had a chance to download the others to me and email them to me...so more pictures to follow in a post called, "Basel". The ones that follow are the few I took on my cell phone:

All these pictures that follow are in the Alstadt (old city).




This picture shows when the building was built. They had these all over the city and I took lots of pictures of them. These buildings were here before my ancestors left the European continent! Crazy!


These trams from like the 50s (old but very clean and efficient of course, hey, it's Switzerland!) go all over downtown instead of buses. I liked them.


Doesn't this restaurant look nice? Yeah, it's a McDonalds. The meals were all about 12 Swiss Francs. That's actually a steal for eating out here. Boo.

5 comments:

mom/Janet said...

I'll look forward to some more pictures. They all look great and I have to tell you, I would not like showering, in a common shower, next to my boss. Boo on that experience. Hope you're feeling better

Abbie said...

Ha! That's so funny. After we got home from France Scott wanted to know why we hadn't taken any pictures of the McDonalds there because they are super nice, way ultra-modern and downright cool. I hear ya about eating out. It sucks

Aunt Beth said...

Honey, you look way too happy, especially for someone who called in sick Friday....

I'm beginning to think there is no end to the beauty of Switzerland. Keep that beauty flowing west to us poor U.S. citizens.

Aunt Beth

Jeanna said...

So, does it taste the same? I ate at McD's while in Scotland, but I was so ready for anything other than Scottish food that I don't remember if it tasted like US McDs.

Your aunt is right, you don't look sick in the pic....hmmmmmm..... :)

Jessica said...

I always love to see your pics- Switzerland is unlike anything I've ever seen.

I hear you about *loving* the long hours Fabio works- I *love* when Dave does that too...

:)