Fabio and I left Friday night right after work for Geneva. It was a 3 1/2 hour trip and we arrived by 9:30pm. We stayed in a quaint little hotel by the train station. On Saturday morning, we got up, had a yummy breakfast (croissant with nutella, eggs, cheese, hot cocoa...ahhhh....)
We started the morning with a walk through the English Gardens along the water front.
We walked along a bustling street full of markets and shops all decked out for Christmas.
We took a walk through the charming, peaceful old town. It was full of cafes, antique shops and narrow, cobblestone streets.
Have any of you ever seen the show on The Travel Channel called Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown? Well, I LOVE this show and in the one where she visits Geneva, she eats at this little cafe and she makes a big deal out of how inexpensive it is to eat here compared to everywhere else. Too bad Fabio and I weren't hungry!
We visited St. Peter's church and an archeological site underneath it. The church has been there since the 11th century and the site underneath shows what they have uncovered of the first two cathedrals so far .
They finally turned on the Jet d'Eau on around 11am. It's Geneva's trademark and I was excited to see it!
Around 1pm we headed towards Montreux, on the north end of Lake Geneva. We were surprised at how warm it was (maybe 45-50 degrees), how much it looked like a Meditteranean town with all the palm trees, the steep mountainside that the village was built on, how many people were out on the streets, and how big the "village" was.
There was a Christmasmarket going on with all kinds of crafts, food and activities. We stayed in a fabulous hotel on the water and had a great view. We went out on Saturday night and had dinner and walked around the market and took a ride on a ferris wheel. Fabio and I were both surprised at how long it had been since we had been up in one and how scary it was! The highlight of the night was finding out we got FREE movies in our hotel! We watched 3! That's a record for us...I mean, I don't think we've even watched three movies...ever! :)
On Sunday morning we took a walk down the lakefront to a midieval castle and took an audio tour with an ipod. We LOVED it! It was a real, preserved castle and the backdrop was breathtaking! I'm going to put all the photos in a slideshow since there are so many!
3 comments:
Wow!! Makes me miss Geneva so much. I loved talk with you while you were there. It's funny how Geneva is how I always pictured Switzerland and how it seemed so different to you. The Chateau de Chillon--no x... because the 'x' makes it plural... just so you know. :)--I think is that chateau that is in so many calendars. :) I'm so glad you got to go to Geneva and that you liked it.
We liked Geneva when we were there also. To me seemed different in that it was french speaking and when we visted you, it was German. sounds like you had fun.
WoW . . . that's what I'm sitting here saying to myself, WoW!
I've become quite the armchair traveler with your blog - thanks for sharing and taking the smidgen of time to post.
Post a Comment