
OK-I'm totally side-tracked at work, but how amazing is this new little gadget? I am usually one that says, "I love a new book; the smell, the feel, being able to mark in it if I want, curling up on the couch with it...", but this little baby has some pretty sweet features! See THE VIDEOS AND PICTURES HERE to see all the features of the Kindle, and tell me what you think. Do you think it is better than having a book? Is it worth the price (I think around $350)? Will it eventually replace the book? The bag I take to work is pretty heavy since I have about 4 books in there right now, just in case I'm in the mood to read any of them on the train. I never know exactly what I'll feel like reading. Hmmm....I'm going back and forth on this one! Thoughts?
8 comments:
I would go back and forth with it too... There is still something wonderful I think about a book. The Kindle does seem cool though. I read this article in TIME back in July: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1823955,00.html
Thought you might like it. TIME also has three other articles about it. You might check it out if you are serious.
That is SOOOOO ironic that you commented about Kindle, because I was JUST on Amazon YESTERDAY and was like "hmm... download a book in minutes, huh? Interesting. I wonder how long that has been around... I wonder if the cost and convenience outweigh being able to physically hold a book?" And then here you are commenting on it yourself. Crazy coincidence? Nope, we are just super n-sync. :P
BTW - Holiday Pops is at Seattle Symphony is this weekend, which makes me miss you lots! I love holiday memories with friends, and you and I have a lot!
dude, this must be the difference between my generation and yours. If I was loaded, I wouldn't even hesitate! I would totally go for it...then again, I am not a HUGE reader, but maybe that is because I am in college and don't have time. Anywho, I see a environmental benefit also! So many less trees cut down!
Well, my grandma has one and pretty much convinced me of its value. Word on the street is that because of this little gadget, textbooks will soon become obsolete. Paperless, here we come!
I saw either this same item or something similar to it featured on Oprah, and I was pretty impressed. However, my father-in-law told me that it cost $10 or so (I can't remember exactly) to download each book, and that kind of knocked it off of my future wish list. :) I will just stick with the public library.
Did Dane really say, "The difference between his generation and yours?" Um... is it just me or are you and Dane only 8 years apart? Dane- if you read this, a generation is usually at least 20-30 years difference.
Em, the difference between my generation and yours is.....and we may actually be a whole generation apart in age. Nope, not quite!
I've never looked into the Kindle, I've seen it around but haven't stopped to figure out what it is. I do love a good book, and books are a mood thing. But, I HATE looking at the computer screen. I do it too much with work, I wouldn't want to do it again with my book. Who can curl up with a Kindle? :)
OK, Dane, cousin Cherlyn here, now we're talking a generation difference. I'm trying to keep up with your generation!
When I saw frindle on Amazon this summer I wanted one right away. I hate checking out books with coffee and other unimaginable stains on the pages, I also hate waiting months for popular books. I'm also in the clean it up/throw it out mode and clearing my shelves of all the books I've collected that are now just collecting dust. So this really appealed to me. I think if the price comes down I'll definitely buy one. Altho, thanks to Aunt Beth's recommendations I've been doing a lot more audio books, read while I walk, clean house, sew, etc. And for that I just carry around a little ipod nano.
Post a Comment