After about 36 hours of traveling (by bus, train, plane, "cab", and car), one missed flight, 2 delayed flights, a night in an airport, a restless night on an airplane and 4 different airports-we are finally in Seattle. And, boy, does it know how to greet us. We arrived on the most treacherous weekend Seattle has seen in quite a while. The roads are literally an ice rink. I'm not joking. It seems as if half the streets downtown are closed, and the storm's not over, folks. It's 5am (hello, jet-lag), it's snowing and blowing outside, and it's about 10 degrees. Wow.
Fabio graduated from law school yesterday. We were supposed to fly in at 7pm on Friday night in order to make the 10am graduation. We flew in at 6am Saturday morning. Lucky for us it was yesterday, and not today. My parents and brothers and sister-in-law made it across the mountain pass, and two of Fabio's friends and their wives came. Had it been today, it's likely the graduation would have been cancelled, and it if hadn't, I'm not sure anyone could have come. We could have walked there maybe, but it would have taken a long time to walk those 8 blocks.
Fabio's gradutation was lovely. Because it was a mid-year graduation, there were only about 70 graduates. The ceremony was probably the most entertaining I've ever been to. The speeches were short and meaningful, and the student speaker should give up his impending career in law to take a comedy show on the road...seriously, that guy was hilarious. The ceremony was only an hour, and then we all walked over (risking our lives as we skated the 4 blocks) to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch. Fabio and I have been looking forward to eating there for months! It didn't disappoint.
Afterwards, Fabio and I walked back to our hotel and crashed. We put our pajamas on and slept...for 12 hours. I woke up at 2am, and have been awake since. It snowed all night, and is still snowing. You can't tell the roads from anything else, and the few cars out there are going pretty slow. Seattle just doesn't have the equipment to keep up with this kind of weather. The airport has been closed since yesterday afternoon, church was cancelled and I think Fabio and I will just stick around downtown and do some shopping, since the police chief says not to drive unless you have to.
Here's to hoping the mountain passes clear before Christmas! :)
PS: Sorry...no pictures. They are on my mom's camera. Next time I post, I will be the proud owner of a brand new camera, but we have to cross the mountain passes first!
4 comments:
Seattle just wanted to welcome you back Swiss style!
welcome back to the states! hopefully weather gets better after christmas xoxo em
Wait until you get to Prosser. Hello Winter. Be careful coming over the mountain.
I'm glad you guys made it. Congratulations, Fabio for being all done! What a great feeling. Have a merry Christmas.
Post a Comment