Monday, March 2, 2009

A Belated Valentine's Day In Venice

Fabio and I spent yet another Valentine's Day apart this year. He promised he would make it up to me, and boy did he ever! We went to Venice! It's a 5 1/2 hour drive, and despite a few hiccups like the GPS totally getting us lost and us almost missing the last vaparetto (water bus) at 11:40pm, we arrived safe and sound on Friday night. Saturday was a lovely day. We decided to just have a slow, relaxing day, wandering the streets and canals, taking photos, eating pizza and gelato. We had no agenda and just enjoyed the city and getting lost.

The highlight of our mini trip was seeing a live Vivaldi concert (featuring The Four Seasons) in a theater on Piazza San Marco. Probably cliche and definitely touristy, but I enjoyed every second of it! I think Fabio enjoyed it too. :) FYI, Vivaldi is one of the most famous Venetians and composed much of his music in Venice.

Here are some of the highlights of our Valentine's Day in Venice:









We had fun experimenting with our new camera at night. Fabio was so impressed with the idea of shutter speed, etc. Once he saw how much fun it was, he promptly took the camera and put it around HIS neck. :)








Sunday was less eventful since most of it was spent driving home. The one thing worth mentioning is that we took the "long" drive home through the German speaking part of Italy. I had a history lesson on this from Fabio. Apparently, after WWI, this former Austrian land was given over to Italy. When you drive through it now, you can see that the buildings are all very Germanic, and everything is written in Italian and German! We also drove through Austria and Liechtenstein. 4 countries in about 3 hours. :) Only in Europe!

9 comments:

Abbie said...

What a fun trip!! I'm so jealous. I can't wait to look through the pictures you took. You know what's funny is that Mom and Dad as well as Dane and I have all been to that Vivaldi concert! :) I absolutely loved it. Good music is never touristic right?

Brittany said...

very romantical. looks like you had a great time. PS - i think you look very cute in your hat!

mom/Janet said...

I was going to tell you that we went to the Vivaldi concert. We loved it. Your pictures all look so familiar. Glad you had fun. We were just telling someone last night about driving through Liechtenstein.

Melissa DeLeon said...

So beautiful! Venice is a MUST for any trip to Europe, so I'm glad you can "check" that one off your list now. :)
Please tell Fabio "congrats" on completing the WSB Exam -- what an accomplishment in itself!

Emily said...

LOVELY! so jealous!

Michelle Olson said...

after all the pictures you post, and your experiences, It's a wonder all of us want to live here! It's so fairy tale like over there! It's so nice to see you soo happy!

Bridget said...

So, everytime I read your blog, I have to remind myself that you guys actually have jobs and have not just been touring Europe for the last 7 months....I still am reminding myself now. What a life! What a Valentie's Day! Maybe some year, Dane and I can fly to Vennice for v-day too... you guys are sooo cute!

Jana said...

Way to go Fabio! Looks like a lot of fun!

Jeanna said...

I'm a bit behind on visiting blogs...

Nice trip, super great pictures. I really, really enjoyed the night pictures.

I have to say, I'm with Bridgett, are you really working over there, or just living a life of luxury? :)