I'm a lucky girl. For lots of reasons. For purposes regarding this post, I am lucky because I found a teaching job at the end of July. A good teaching job. When Fabio got a job in Omaha at the end of June, I pretty much gave up the idea of getting a job here too. Teaching jobs in the summertime are scarce. Especially in this economy. Most schools have done their hiring and are sitting pretty, waiting for August to roll around.
There were a few postings here and there in the suburban school districts around Omaha. I applied to all of them (maybe 4-5), not expecting much, knowing that I was competing with other applicants who already had teaching licenses in Nebraska (mine is pending and waiting on fingerprints).
I had heard nothing from any school district when we pulled out of Seattle on July 25th. However, on July 26th, as we were driving from Prosser to Boise, I got a call from a very nice principal in a suburban school district regarding a 6th grade position I had applied for. (Note: I had found this job opening by accident while searching the web for substitute pay in Omaha...random.) The principal noted that it was last minute, but she would like to do a pre-screening interview at noon "today."
"Well, I would love to. But I'm on the road to Boise right now. Is that a problem? Could we do a phone interview?"
"That's not a problem," she said. She then told me that she and the district curriculum director would call me at noon (their time). For the next two hours I watched my cell phone reception bars like a hawk. At about 9:45 (15 minutes before they were to call), I told Fabio to pull over because I had 5 bars, and I had been going in and out of reception for the last hour. We pulled off on an exit to nowhere, and when I got the phone call at 10am sharp, Fabio kindly stepped out into the extreme heat to give me some privacy.
So there I sat, on the side of a road to nowhere, answering questions about instructional techniques, discipline policies and philosophies on curriculum while my poor husband sweated it out in the desert. After about 30 minutes I let him back in and I finished my interview about 30 minutes after that. I felt so good about it. The principal and I talked about her school a little and about their curriculum. I was so happy that she talked about inquiry (something I'm passionate about) and that the curriculum is teacher created. After I got off the phone, I told Fabio, "We'd be a great match!"
A few days later, we were eating dinner with Dane and Bridget at Cafe Rio, and I got a call from the principal for a second interview! She wanted me to come in for a "team interview" on Friday morning, the morning after we were scheduled to arrive in Omaha. Whew! We pulled into Omaha around 11pm Thursday night and at 8am on Friday, I was up ready to go! I met the other two 6th grade teachers, the math and literacy coaches, the principal and director of HR. They each asked me questions, and we had a great conversation. The principal gave me a tour of the school and she was so friendly and nice. She said she'd call me either this weekend or Monday. I passed another candidate on my way out, and so I wasn't feeling overly confident.
I got home, and Fabio told me I looked a little less confident than I had before I went in. I told him it was only because I had seen the other candidate, and even though I knew they had really liked me, maybe that girl was even cooler. (Not likely, but certainly possible.) :)
About five minutes after we had that conversation, my phone rang and it was the director of HR that had been in on the team interview. She told me they would like to offer me the job. "Yes, of course! Thank you!" I gushed.
"Oh, great! We're so happy! You know, I had to tell the ladies not to get too excited yet because you may have to think about it, or talk it over with your husband. But, they'll be so thrilled that you said yes right away."
I then got to talk to the principal about a few odds and ends. I think we will be friends. She seems a lot like me, and I feel very comfortable around her.
After my semi-traumatic experience saying good-bye to my friends and co-workers at my school in Seattle, this has been a relief and a blessing. I now feel like I have a purpose in Omaha (besides the all important role of supporting my husband in his career endeavors). I have a way to make friends in a new city, bring in more money, and most importantly, do something I love so much. I am a lucky girl, but I also believe I am blessed.
10 comments:
Emalei, this happens to you every time! You came through again! You are SERIOUSLY SO BLESSED! (BTW, do you read that blog?) :)
Congratulations!! I'm so excited you found something so quick.
I loved hearing this story! A few things that stuck out to me:
1) Fabio chilling in the desert. What a guy.
2) You went to Cafe Rio!!!
3) "I think her and I will be friends." LOL. Nice grammar dude.
Love you. So excited for this! Sad you won't be coming to see us next month though. Boo.
Yay for finding a miracle job!
"Preparation brings blessings."
You've prepared for years by getting a good education, working hard in your previous teaching positions and digging in to finding new positions when necessary! Hats off.
We never doubted it. :)
Congrats on the awesome job, Em!!!! I'm sure that after all of your inner-city experience, the Midwest will be a breeze!
I still can't believe you moved to Nebraska......
congrats em! such a great accomplishment that you not only got the job but with people you really seem to click w/to boot. good luck in omaha!
So happy for you! The Lord always provides...a long time ago when I moved to NY for Mark the exact same thing happened to me. Miss you...we need to catch up!
Emalei,
Yes, you are blessed but let me tell you, your new school is very blessed as well to have you in their school with their kids. I feel blessed that We had you with our son and his friends and also that I had you as my co-worker. I do hope our paths will cross again!!
Wishing you all the best!
Lea
Post a Comment