Fabio had a 10 day training there last week (and just got home today), and so I joined him last weekend for a fun filled 2 days in St. Louis. I'm sure if we would have looked hard, we could have found more to do, but we really didn't do much. We saw the arch and went up it. We went to the old courthouse where the Dred Scott decision was made. (For those of you who, like me, knew the name but not the case, Dred Scott is the black man who, in the early 1800's, sued for his freedom. According to the museum displays in the courthouse, this was a catalyst for the Civil War.) We wanted to go to the botanical gardens, but on our way, we found a beautiful park and walking path and decided to just walk around there for free. We found a few good places to eat, and spent a lot of time in the hotel planning our trip to Scotland/England.
I wouldn't recommend a trip to St. Louis. It's just a city. The arch isn't that impressive, and there's not much physical beauty. The Mississippi River is muddy and the area around it is industrial. It was nice to be with Fabio for the weekend, since I had spent the whole previous week without him. I came back late Sunday night and was right back to work at 7am on Monday.
The "elevator" to go up the arch looked like the inside of a washing machine. When the doors first opened, I thought, I am NOT doing this! Then, I thought about the $20 we already spent to go up. I ended up doing it, and it wasn't terrible.
On a side note, this is where we decided to have Christmas dinner in Scotland:
9 comments:
Still can't wait to read the Christmas blog. Too bad about St Louis. Now, at least, you can say you've been there.
LOL. Don't sound too excited! :) I met a woman today at the Lincoln Memorial who is from England living in DC for the next 3 years b/c of her husband's job. We were talking about how wonderful a city DC is and I said, there are lots of cities in the US that are just big cities but DC is a city of it's own, much like Paris, London or NYC. St. Louis, while I'm sure a great place to live, probably isn't the best touristy place to visit. :)
Did I seriously just write it's instead of its? My apologies.
Your post reminded me of Houston. People asked us how we liked it, and all I can say it, well, it was Houston. Not much to see. But we loved the traveling we did out of Houston!
So jealous of your christmas vacay by the way.
Hope your school year is going well!!
I've never been to St. Louis, but Harold feels the same. He's been there a bunch on business and didn't really like it.
On the flip side, I've never been to Perth either while serving in Scotland. However, you can't really go wrong in the middle of Scotland....it's bound to be gorgeous. But again, FRIGID! :) Pack lots of layers girl.
Ha! I'm pretty sure that the Missouri Tourism Bureau won't be hiring you anytime soon. :)
And I'm totally jealous of your Christmas lodging. Can I come?
Miss you too, Em!
Emalei,
Tell us about the place you are having Christmas. Is it a hotel? A palace?
Lea
PS Looking forward to your post about your upcoming camping trip!!
Courtney totally stole my line! Haha
I have to point out the obvious here, though: it's the midwest! Yes, I'm an a NW snob, because we have the ocean, mountains, and gorgeous national parks. And the midwest has... um, the Mississippi River? Corn? Lots and lots of flat land/flood plains? Poor S.Dakota had to carve a mountainside to make it interesting enough to visit!
I'm just sayin'...
I love the photos of Emalei. She is so beautiful. Love you honey!
Post a Comment