Monday, November 7, 2011

Sleep

I'm mostly writing this post for me.  I think it will be cathartic to write it down, and maybe look back when (or IF) we have another baby.  And, if any of you can sympathize with anything I write about and want to share words of wisdom, feel free.  I welcome it!

I first noticed something was off when at 3 weeks, Teo stopped sleeping during the day.  Once I figured out the combination of soothing techniques he needed, he started to fall asleep pretty easily.  However, when I would go to lay him down, he would wake up with a start.  I would let him fuss for a bit, but then fuss turned to wails, and I would rush to pick him up.  Often, he would fall back asleep the instant I cradled him in my arms.  Subsequent tries at laying him down were unsuccessful, and so for a while (like 2 months), I succumbed to letting him sleep in my arms. 

I also must point out that in the last month or so, feeding him during the day has become hellish and as a result, it has no longer been easy to put him to sleep.  My theory is that feeding him makes him sleepy, and he fights that feeling.  He will pull away from the bottle, arching his back in protest, but then go right back to the nipple to suck vigorously for 2-3 sucks, then repeat the process.  If I last long enough, about halfway through the bottle, he will calm down, and usually fall asleep, but then we go back to the issue of him not being able to sleep anywhere except where he fell asleep-in my arms. 

I am now at the point where I know something needs to change.  At four months, he already is forming bad habits.  It's obvious to me that he cannot fall asleep on his own, and cannot fall back asleep once he wakes up.  I honestly don't know if it was my fault for not putting him down sleepy and letting him stay down longer than it took for him to peep out in protest when he woke up.  I know that is what the concensus is, meaning, put the baby down sleepy so he can learn to fall asleep on his own, but I've just always picked Teo up the minute he starts protesting because I didn't want him to get so worked up that he wouldn't go back to sleep when he really needed to sleep!

I have read tons of stuff online, talked to friends and family, read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and I came to the conclusion that I was going to let him cry it out at nap time.  Is there another way to go about teaching a baby that he needs to sleep in his crib and to teach him to fall back asleep if he wakes up?  If you have some magic potion, please let me know because the last 2 1/2 days have been horrendous.  My mom is great.  She keeps telling me she thinks it's working, but I'm skeptical.  Not to bore you with details, but it hasn't worked yet.  He hasn't cried himself to sleep.  The time he has cried hasn't lessened.  I started by letting him cry for an hour.  Fabio and I would go in periodically to check on him, reassure him, but it seemed to make things worse.  Today, I let him cry for 30 minutes and then caved.  The second I picked him up, he fell asleep, I laid him back down, he woke up five minutes later.  That happend 3 times.  3 TIMES!  Maybe I just should have let him cry after he woke up again, but after 5 minutes of ear piercing screams, I caved.  He's so hysterical.  It's so sad.  And, I'm not convinced it's going to work.  Everyone I know who has done this says they have seen improvements by day 2/3.  I'm not seeing any.

The other thing I haven't mentioned is that sometimes when I put him down asleep (like dead asleep) and he doesn't wake up, he will sleep, but NEVER for more than 30 minutes.  I have read that a nap less than 30 minutes doesn't count, that by 4 months, babies should sleep for at least an hour.  Unless he's sleeping on me, that NEVER happens.  Sometimes, when I go get him after he's been sleeping for 30 minutes, he's clearly still sleepy because he will either fall right back asleep when I pick him up, or he will be cranky again anywhere from 20-30 minutes later.

I have a pediatrician appt. on Wednesday, but I'm not so foolish to think she'll have all the answers, or that she'll really want to spend the time needed to discuss Teo's sleeping habits with me.  Believe me though, I am going to make myself sound as desperate as I feel.

I must say, in his defense, he can sleep great at night.  We have had great nights, and horrendous nights, but he is definitely capable of sleeping from 6/7 - 1/2, eating, then going back down for another 3-4 hours.  He is certainly not consistent about this, but I must give him credit for his good nights.  I'm trying at night to put him down as soon as his feeding is done and letting him fall back asleep.  He's been minorly successful at this.  Last night, after 45 minutes, I had to go into his room and pick him up, but he fell right asleep and when I put him down, he slept for another 2 hours. 

I just don't know why he goes to bed fine at night, but during the day, he just can't manage to stay asleep, or even fall asleep on his own when he is clearly exhausted, well fed and dry.

I'm not interested in putting him in the swing, carseat or bouncer anymore.  He is getting too big for that, and quite frankly, I want him to associate sleep with the crib and sleeping flat.  I need a long term solution here.  Not a band-aid.

Maybe I have nothing to worry about, but I'm pretty sure, it's not healthy for a 4 month old to not be napping in his crib for atleast a few hours a day.  Lately, on a normal day, he naps for anywhere from 1 hour -1.5 hours.

So, there are my ramblings.  All that said, I love my little Teo.  He is so sweet and cute and usually very smiley and interactive.  Today, he is 4 months old, and we love him more than ever. I would just really like some answers, whatever they are!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emalei,

Congrats on baby Teo- he is too cute! And I am not a mother and I certainly don't profess to have all the answers, but I've had friends who have gone through situations like yours they have told me about. Have you considered letting him sleep with a shirt or something that smells like you? And I think I saw on "The Dr's" or some show that they have a pillow or something that will mimic the sound of your heartbeat...perhaps that's whats tripping him up. Sorry to hear he's so sleep fussy, but hopefully he will get over it soon. Thank you for sharing how he grows!

-Trang

Sheans said...

Em-

Yeah, I am on my third baby and all three of mine have been the same as your little buddy. It's really hard. I tried everything and nothing worked. They eventually grew out of it... but it took them over a year. The one thing that I've found helped my little guy now (who is now 11 months old) was swaddling him up tight and then rocking him to sleep and laying him down but even that didn't help all of the time. So basically, I have no advice but lots and lots and lots of empathy. Good luck. I guess the only thing I can say is that even if he makes bad habits now, he will grow out of them when he gets older and more independent. It does get better, but in the meantime you will be frustrated and exhausted.

Hope it gets better!
Brittony

Collette said...

Ugh...I am so sorry! No sleep is no good. I don't have a lot of advice because my kids were generally pretty good sleepers. I did struggle for a little while with Bridger.
Have you tried laying him down in the exact position he is laying on you? Bridger would sleep great on my and then I would lay him on his back and he would instantly wake up. I put him on his tummy (in the exact position he had been laying on me) in his crib and he took his first nap for longer than 10 minutes! I know tummy sleeping is against all the rules, but sometimes you have to make your own rules. All my other kids have slept on their tummies from day one. The other thing is to give him a little mylicon (however you spell it) before he eats or after or in his bottle to help get the little gas bubbles that might get stuck.
Those are my only tricks. Good luck! There is nothing more frustrating than a non-sleeping child. Good thing they are cute, huh!

Bridget said...

have you tired blacking out his room? maybe he sleeps at night because it is dark? wish I could help more....

Melissa DeLeon said...

Advice from a childless friend may be as helpful as a hole in the head, but nonetheless my two cents are as follows:
*To avoide negative reinforcement (as in, reinforcement of a negative behavior) you shouldn't back down from any plan. He's crying -- you pick him up. He doesn't want to sleep alone -- you cuddle him. Can't blame the kid for trying, cuz it always works.
I saw something on an episode of Supernanny once where they did sleep-related training of a 2 year old and the mother had to gradually ween her daughter off their bad routine. It started with the little girl sleeping in her own bed and the mother sitting on the floor next to her without looking at her. (It was a reassurance thing.) Gradually, each night, the mother would move closer to the door until the daughter didn't get out of bed anymore and would go to sleep quickly.
Applying this to a baby? Maybe you need to place him always in the same place for sleeping, sit next to him with your hand on TOP of him (rather than under, as he prefers) and see if he might relax and ultimately fall asleep WITHOUT you giving him your attention.
I liked Bridget's note about darkening the room (reducing stimuli).
Sounds like hell -- sorry I don't have magical powers to send your way.

Melissa DeLeon said...

Oh, and can you rule out that this isn't a food issue? (That he is having a reaction to something you eat and are transmitting via breastmilk?)
Apparently my mom once gave my brother Benedryl and he didn't sleep more than a few minutes for 3 days straight. I know of other people who have had similar "fussy" baby issues when it is an allergy and eating becomes a bother.

Fabio said...

I must state for the record that I don't think Emalei would be satisfied even if Teo slept 23 hours a day. Also, Emalei seems to have chosen books that tell her what she wanted to hear. There are other books out there that say the opposite. I don't believe there is anything wrong or strange with our baby just because he doesn't fall asleep on demand. Sorry, Em. You made the post and I had to comment on it since it involves little Mr. T.

Jana said...

I have to agree with Fabio on this one...BUT, I feel your pain. Grant was the baby from, dare I say...H-E-_ _ you get the picture. We were lucky if he slept for more than 2 hours at a time at night. And he didn't ever really nap, just lots of cat naps like Teo. TOTALLY normal. Sucks for you, since you're totally used to being able to do projects, stuff that needs to get done. And the fact that he wants to be held, TOTALLY normal. You must have seen too many babies that would magically sleep on their own, I did too. :) Just take all his cues as compliments, he LOVES you and wants to be close to you. I know it's exhausting, & frustrating..been there. Have you tried wearing a sling or baby biorn around the house so you can get stuff done & he can sleep. That was my best friend w/ Grant. Or will he sleep in a bouncy chair or stroller. It doesn't really matter where he sleeps, you're stressing too much on the location. He will eventually learn to sleep on his own, yes you'll need to help him but he's still so little. There is plenty of time :) call me my dear if you want to hear my horror stories, I think it might make you feel better :) email me for my # if you don't have it!! Hang in there and remember your baby is NORMAL!! Love ya