Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grandpa's Funeral

I just returned from the mother of all trips.  On November 17th I flew to Boise.  On the 18th was my grandpa's funeral and on the 19th, I drove to Provo with Dane and Bridget.  On the 20th, Abbie, Ella, Teo and I drove to St. George with my Aunt Beth.  We stayed in St. George until the 28th.  We had Thanksgiving there (a post about that later) and overall just had a wonderful time being with family. 

My grandpa's funeral was really special.  He would have loved it and would have been so proud.  :)  The whole time I just kept thinking how he would have liked to have been there.  All the special people in his life were gathered together, and the Veteran's ceremony at the cemetary was really moving.  He would have loved that. 

Fabio looked at the pictures of the funeral during Thanksgiving and commented how in Italy, you would NEVER see people smiling.  Well, we did a lot of smiling.  It was so wonderful to see people I love so much and see so infrequently.  It was also sweet to remember how special my grandpa was and how lucky we all were to have had him in our lives.


At the viewing, Ella had fun "holding her cousin."  As other 2nd cousins would run by, she would yell, "Hey!  I'm holding my cousin!"  She's doing a pretty good job considering she's not much bigger than Teo.

My mom's cousin, Julie, and I at the funeral.  She was my saving grace during my freshman year at college when I was suuuuuuuuuuuper homesick.  I always love seeing her.

The pallbearers.

During the burial ceremony at the Veteran's Cemetary, I kept thinking how much my grandpa would have loved it and how proud he would have been.

My grandpa's ward's Relief Society put together the nicest luncheon for our family.  Wow.  It was so well put together and the food was so good.  

Aunt Geri and Aunt Darlene, my grandpa's sisters.  Two of the kindest women you will ever meet.  My Aunt Geri easily has over 100 grandchildren and great-grandchildren, yet, she still remembers me (and all of my grandpa's other grandchildren).
 
The funeral home put together a nice video slide show of my grandpa's life.  We played it at the luncheon.

This was only some of the people at the funeral.  It is all of my grandpa's children and some of his grandchildren (minus his oldest son and his family).

Teo was really happy after his two hour nap.  This is a record, people!  As a side note, it makes me feel sad that my grandpa never got to meet him.

After the luncheon, we gathered at my uncle's house and had donuts.  All I have to say is, look out, Krispy Kream.  YUM! 

We had so much fun hanging out together at the hotel.  Uncle Dale and Teo got some bonding time in.

Abbie and I with our cousin Collette.  She is our age and we have so many fun memories with her from our childhood.


 What a wonderful weekend.  It was very bittersweet to celebrate my grandpa's life and to say our final goodbyes to him.  It was so special to spend this time with my sweet family.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Abbie did such a great job on the pictures! It felt so good to visit with the family and celebrate grampa (uncle dale's) life. You're right, he would've loved it!

mom/Janet said...

Nice post, Emalei. Thanks for doing it.

Melissa DeLeon said...

The interesting thing about LDS funerals is the dinner after which always brings smiles. It is hard not too when you have such a large group of people -- many who you haven't seen in a long period of time -- gathered together. Mostly, I think people are just reminded of how wonderful our time is together and there is the rememberence of that which made the person special.
I cannot imagine a funeral for your Grandpa withOUT lots of laughter and stories. My contribution would have been: I remember a story about him climbing on the cabin roof, and your dad (Bill) telling your Grandpa that if he got hurt, your dad would never hear the end of it from your mom and grandpa. So, as precautionary measure, your grandpa threw a rope over the top of the cabin (I have no idea what he tethered it to) and around himself. Of course, then once he felt secure, he started swinging back and forth like a kid. Your poor dad! Haha

Melissa DeLeon said...

Oops. Typo. I meant to say "never hear the end of it from your mom and grandma."