Friday, October 31, 2008

Hello, Winter!

Boy, were we surprised when we woke up Thursday morning to this:


I had been sick the day before, and was still sick, but those of you who have been a teacher know how difficult it is to be gone for more than a day. I decided to brave the storm and trek to work. What an adventure.

First of all, forget snow days. Switzerland doesn't have them from what I heard.
:( What's the point in having snow if you can't get a day off school? Poor Swiss kids.

Second, this looks like snow, but it wasn't. It was slush. We don't have snow boots yet and wow, both Fabio and I wish we had them now! Fabio walks all 1/4 of a mile to work, and I walk from the apt. to the bus, from the bus to the train, from the train to the bus and from the bus to the school. My feet were cold and wet and my new shoes were all muddy by the time I got to school. Not to mention my cold/sinus infection was feeling worse already.

When my principal saw me she made me go back home. (I didn't protest too hard.) I trekked back home (And by the way, all the public transport was running late so it took me 2 hours just to get home...sheesh.) I have spent the last two days inside sniffling, sleeping and sneezing. Great fun. But on the bus ride home yesterday, I had quite the winter wonderland show, so I haven't missed out completely. Sorry for the blurry pictures. The bus was super late so the driver was being a little reckless.




This was the view from my bus stop in Lucerne:


My mom and dad come tomorrow and usually we might be disappointed that the weather is so cold and gloomy, but Switzerland just can't be miserable. Even in the winter, it's a wonderland!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

That looks awesome!! I love snow. I'm sorry you're so sick though. I was very sick a couple of weeks ago and it was the most misersable I've been in a long time. Hopefully it passes soon so you can enjoy your time with your parents.

Abbie said...

Emalei has a sinus infection? No way!! Seriously dude, you need to get your nasal passageway fixed. As for the snow, man I am so jealous. I think you are going to have a blast come Christmas time!! How awesome will Switzerland be with tons of cute decorations in the store shop windows?!

Melissa DeLeon said...

I can't believe it is the same place that Abbie just visited... since it hardly looked like Fall with all that green!! Crazy.
Sorry about the sinus infection. Last time I got one it turned into a beast of a thing and wouldn't go away and then spread to be an ear infection. I attribute that to not taking it easy when I felt so crappy, so SHAME ON YOU TOO! :P j/k
Oh, and Happy Halloween!

Dane said...

Dude, you know me! I'm freakin' jealous! I want snow. And I want to come to Switzerland! Have you heard of Saas Fe? I heard it's a good ski resort!

KelliAnn Christensen said...

Wow. That is beautiful! Just like a storybook village. Sorry about the sinus infection. :(

Collette said...

The pictures made Brent want to come visit. That is huge since he has no desire to go to Europe. He looked at it and said...how much would it cost us to go visit them?

It does look just like a storybook village. And you get to call it home (wet feet and all).

Jeanna said...

I get sinus infections and they suck!! I'm so sorry you are sick.

I'm not ready for snow, not ready, not ready, not ready. Don't come, don't come!!!

I want to enjoy the fall a little bit more...