Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cruising Zugersee

We woke up to a beautiful, I mean BEAUTIFUL day. I think it was especially profound as ever since we returned from the U.S., it has been gloomy beyond description. Clouds, rain, snow, freezing temperatures; just plain gross. So, when we woke up to the sun beating in the window, we knew we had to get out.

I came out into the living room to find Fabio on his computer. He said, "Hey, we can take a brunch cruise on Lake Zug (Zugersee) at 10am." We busted it to get dressed and then ended up having to walk to where the boat was in the altstadt (old town) because we missed the bus. We arrived at the boat at 9:59, and luckily a group that had reservations didn't show up, so we got on! YAY!

It was a very un-Swiss experience. Here are a few reasons why:
All you can eat buffet (three different courses-breakfast foods, then meats and veggies, then dessert).
The food was delicious.
The price was extremely affordable.
AND they had free drinks! What the-!? We were delighted.

Of course the whole time I was snapping photos of the scenery. The photos from inside the boat were lame since the glare off the window was pretty bad. But we stepped out on the deck several times, and those photos are pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. I just realized that the photos are pretty small on the blog, so be sure to click on them to get the full effect!

Here are some of the best ones:















This was the best view of all:




Home sweet home...Zug:

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Beautiful pictures Em! I'm so glad you posted them. And what a steal on the boat ride. Too bad you didn't know before right?

Brittany said...

those are great pictures. i can tell the experience was even better! thanks for sharing!

Jeanna said...

And we woke up to nasty rain, then it proceeded to hail, then today...snow, about a foot. Ick. I envy the sunshine! I was in Boise last weekend and they were having a nasty inversion and after 2 1/2 days, I was getting depressed. I never knew how much sunshine affected me.

Thanks for the songs, I will be listening to the samples that iTunes allows and I'll let everyone know what I picked. I enjoy the song I'm listening to right now on your blog...looking for a good time? is that right?

(the food looked pretty dang good, too....I'm a bit food obsessed lately, especially the stuff I cannot eat, like bready stuff. Yum!)

Melissa DeLeon said...

Fun!

Cherlyn said...

Interesting. Halfway around the world and the same weather patterns here - cold, dreary skies and then today, bam, sunshine! And what do we do, take off for our little lake. A 4 mile walk ending with a sunset. .
Kin from afar.