Fabio loves his new coat. (I love mine too.) It has several hidden pockets for all sorts of different things. I don't think we've found all our pockets yet.
Fabio called la mamma on the gondola up the mountain. He wanted to tell her he loved her...just in case. Aye, psych!
I'm really proud of both of us. I was able to teach Fabio a few new tricks, and we didn't kill each other! Doesn't he look cute in his ski gear? :)
We spent most of the day being pulled up the bunny hill by the rope tow.
He really did well for a first timer!
This was at the end of the day. We still love each other! YAY!
I talked Fabio into taking a picture of me...
Overall, Satell-Hochstuckli was a perfect place for beginning skiers! There was a perfect bunny hill and then a step above with one bigger rope tow. I have only ever done chair lifts while skiing, so this bigger rope tow thing totally threw me off. Long story short, there's a bar that rests behind your bottom, but you don't sit on it. Well, out of habit, I sat on it, and right in front of everyone I tumbled and stumbled and caused the whole lift to grind to a halt. Super. I'm shouting in English, "Sorry! Sorry! I've never seen a lift like this! I'm sorry!" EVERYONE was watching me. Some were amused, some weren't. Once I finally got myself up and back to the front of the line, Fabio's laughter was dying down. I got on just fine the second round, and next thing I know, I hear, "Freak out!" and the tow stops again. I look back and Fabio is tangled in the rope, skis crossed, flying through the air. I was so mortified I couldn't look back anymore. Eventually, the tow started moving again, and I looked back, but no Fabio!!! Oh well. I went to the top of the hill, skiied down, and there he was, skis on his shoulder, back at the bunny hill. I was laughing at ourselves, but he didn't think it was quite so funny.
A few other funny things happened, but I'll save you all, and end with this experience, because it is another coin in the bucket for why Switzerland can be so LAME. So, we brought a backpack full of snacks and treats with us because we know the restaurant food at the resort will be expensive in true Swiss style. But, the only locker to put all this food is down at the parking lot where we caught the gondola up to the actual ski area. Ok, not too big a deal. If we get hungry, we'll just bite the bullet and get food. Sure enough, 1:00 comes and we're starving. We go into the little restaurant, order some water for 9 francs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then we order our lunch. All the sudden, I ask Fabio, "Do they take cards? Because you only have a 10." He asks and they say, "Nein!" What??!! You mean, instead of ordering food, we ordered a 9 franc FIZZY NASTY water and now we have no money for food? What kind of a restaurant doesn't take cards? You mean, I'm going to starve until we go back down the mountain??? Here's a photo after the blessed event...and notice our 9 franc water. Sigh.
Anyway, that was a moment of brief Switzerland hate. Needless to say, after that, we were both a little cranky and less patient. The weather started to turn windy, cold and snowy, so we excused ourselves and made the trek home. (Thanks to Abbie for being home, on the computer and able to tell us when and where to catch the next train!)
We are now in our warm, comfy apartment, bemoaning the end of another weekend. They just go by too quickly don't they?
4 comments:
I do what I can. :) It sure looks like fun, and really, that is quite the feat to not have killed one another after a ski trip. I remember one such experience with Dale chasing us down the mountain with ski poles he was so mad at us. Yikes. Glad you took pictures!
PS. My word verification is: merlati. Does that means anything in Italian?
You two are too funny. I really wish I could have been there to witness the whole tumbling down the mountain episode... :) When we don't kill eachother, I really think it is events like that that make marriages stronger:) If you can survive that, you can handle anything.
Miss you guys!
Thanks for the good laugh. I'm glad that I'm not the only one (in the family) with bad first time skiing experiences! Technology is awesome. Your sister living who-knows-how-far-away (cause i don't want to look it up) helped you catch the train. Amazing. I love it.
I would have been mad about the fizzy water too. Sheesh.
Poor Fabio! But hey, now he has an embarrassing ski story to tell -- mine was the time my ski continued down the mountain without me, and you had to chase it down while I hobbled after it! Mortifying at the time, but HILARIOUS in retrospect. :)
Post a Comment