Ticino has the best of two incredible worlds. It has the best of Switzerland- cleanliness, punctuality, mountains and lakes, combined with the best of Italy-food, language and architecture.
On this map, the light purple canton in the southernmost part of Switzerland is Ticino:

We spent the afternoon in Locarno yesterday and had an incredible time. It has a Meditterrean feel with palm trees and terra cotta villas dotting the hillside. We're already considering taking Fabio's parents back next weekend while they're here.
We took a walk along the lake.
We had divine pizza at lovely pizzeria. (Notice the 8 franc water...grrrr...)
We took a stroll through the charming alley ways of the old town.
The main way we spent our afternoon was taking the pilgimage up to Madonna Del Sasso. This church was built on the rock where in 1480 a monk or priest or someone they today call a seer had a vision of the Madonna. Along the switchbacks are decaying shrines that depict the cross laden Christ. That, along with the view was pretty impressive.
Pretty impressive view from the top, huh?
The sanctuary had several of these terracotta sculpture groups of biblical scenes:
I thought this was pretty romantic...
We ended our afternoon with a walk through Piazza Grande.
6 comments:
Like everywhere else in Switzerland, that looks so pretty. Your weekend day trips are numbered. Hope you'll let us know of your travels in Seattle.
Uhhh, my friend... once again we were so close to each other without even knowing. Andrew and I spend the past four days in the Maggia Valley right past Locarno.... oh yes, it is just gorgeous there! Miss you!
I'm super happy to see the sun actually shines in your part of Europe! Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the other pics, and fight off a ton of jealousy!, but the sun adds a sparkle like no other.
Beautiful! Again.
I'm exhausted from looking at your photos of all the climbing you had to do to get to the top! Wow. Good thing the view was worth it. :D
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Hi! Do you remember me??? I just found your blog through Jackie's blog...Sounds like you are having an adventure...so fun! I'll keep checking back for updates!
Shannon Smith Hyer (Val's mission companion)
I think that passageway looks quite romantic as well :o)
Actually, it kinda reminds me of the "Sound of Music" for some strange reason. Weird, I know. But I guess the Baroness was from Switzerland......
Post a Comment