The shift I'm talking about is a shift in society and the world as we know it. First, let me say that I LOVE being a student and my graduate classes are fascinating. I'm so sorry that I didn't start my graduate degree earlier, as it is really opening my eyes to so many relevent issues! Second, I love my job. I really chose the right career. I learn so much every day (even when I'm not "working") and I feel like my life would be so dull without the constant challenge and exposure to so many smart people and unique experiences.
That said, our society. There are two things I want to share that have redirected my thinking in the last few months. The first one is a film made by a French filmaker called "Home." It's a documentary shot entirely from the above, in the air, as in from a plane or helicopter. The information about what is happening to our "home," the earth, is staggering and quite humbling. It starts out a little slow, then it gets depressing and scary, but then it ends hopeful and it evoked, in me anyway, a sense of responsibility and importance. Incredibly powerful and beautifully done.
The second thing I wanted to share with you is another video on youtube called, "Shift Happens." It is a short clip sharing facts about the changing world, mostly with a focus on technology and how it's affecting our changing society. Again, flooring and something I will be thinking about for days.
3 comments:
I love it when I stumble across movies or documentaries that really make me think and ponder. I'll have to watch "Home" some evening this week. Another great documentary? Food Inc. You should definitely check it out. You would love it.
Have you seen the new Austrian documentary "Bruno" about fashion? haha - j/k.
Funny thing about being a teacher... it isn't always your job to fill their heads with knowledge, but instead to open it up to the possibilities and world around them.
Great post sweetie. I'll be adding both to my 'list.' Food, Inc. is already on it, thanks to Abbie.
Maybe we can have a conversation once I see them.
Those students at the academy don't realize yet how lucky they are to have you as their teacher & guide.
Aunt Beth
Post a Comment