Monday, August 3, 2009

Cruisin' Alaska

Alaska is beautiful. Alaska has never been on my "Top 5 Places I Must Visit," however, I must say, I am not sure I have ever seen more beautiful scenery than some of what I saw in Alaska. And people, that's saying a lot since I lived in Switzerland! My entire family went (parents, brothers, sister, sister and brother-in-law and niece) and we had a BLAST together. Lots of laughs and relaxation. It was perfect.

Waiting to leave Vancouver, our port city.


Ella (my niece) waving goodbye to people on the docks in Vancouver.


We came out to get into the hot tub and the scenery blew us away. We were going through a narrow passage that was beyond stunning.




I LOVE learning about Native American history. Especially the Northwest Coast Native Americans. We went to a Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan and learned about totem poles and saw lots of them too!


Creek Street in Ketchikan used to be full of brothels and "scoundrals."


We also saw a lumberjack show in Ketchikan.


We saw whales (Well, we just saw their fins, backs and blow holes).


In Juneau we took a cable car to a mountain above the city and hiked. Gorgeous.


"Little One" enjoying a ride on her daddy's back.






We looked down on our cruise ship from the mountain above. Can you see the sea plane landing right next to it? We saw TONS of sea planes.


Heading into Tracy Arm Fjord. This was the highlight of the whole cruise. We traveled through the fjord, and at the end saw the Sawyer Glacier. I have never experienced anything like it.












Our first view of Sawyer Glacier.




From Skagway we took a tour up to the Yukon. Here's the four siblings with the Sawtooth Mountains in the background.


We went really high and spent some time in the tundra.




Isn't the color of this lake incredible?


We took the Golden Pass Historic Railway back to Skagway.


Our ship, the Norwegian Sun. What a great trip! Thanks, mom and dad!

8 comments:

Fabio said...

It all was beautiful and we are all thankful to Bill for making it happen. It was a wonderful experience!

THANK YOU!

Fabio

mom/Janet said...

What about Janet? I helped make it happen. :) Great job of summing up the trip, Em. It was beautiful scenery and great company. What a great memory.

Fabio said...

Auhh...oops....let me fix that

Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET
Thanks JANET ...and Bill

Bridget said...

SO, just to let you know that I DO read your blog, I have a comment. About the picture of Ella on Scott's back don't you think you should say: Little One "enjoying" a ride on her daddy's back.? As apposed to: "Little One" enjoying a ride on her daddy's back.?

He he, Just kidding, Ella, you know we all love you :)

Aunt Beth said...

To comment on Bridget's post: Has there ever been anyone loved more than Ella?? I know you are all thinking "Well, maybe you Aunt Beth...." Trust me, I know when I've been demoted to steerage.

You did a terrific job Emalei of allowing others to see the beauty and variety of all you saw and experienced. I can hardly fathom the blueness of the water. And, how fun was the train ride? Something kind of romantic about trains even though I can honestly say none of my train journeys were any where near romantic.

Just have to ask if Abbie had a chance to show anyone Eagle Rock??

Aunt Beth

Jeanna said...

Beautiful, and how could you NOT enjoy a trip with your family? Sounds like sooo much fun!

Jana said...

Amazing! I've always wanted to go to Alaska on a cruise!

Dale said...

Is that pic of Fabio on the deck looking all cold really of him, or did you take it so you could have a picture of Rex? I know how much you liked that guy Emalei!