Monday, January 25, 2010

Recent Musings

There really are some musings I have been meaning to write about for a while now. The first one is relevant to why I haven't been blogging much lately.

1. I ALWAYS have something I should be doing. Whether it be (besides working all day) homework, planning for school, reading a book club book (haven't started the next one and we're down to four weeks!), cleaning, working out, etc. I feel like I never have time to just...SIT, watch t.v., surf the web, etc. Will the day ever come when I say, "I have nothing to do today!" Maybe in 40 years? Sigh...

2. I was talking to a friend at work the other day, and I was musing (out loud) about how miraculous it was that I haven't been sick at all since we started school in August! People, this truly is miraculous. This has never happened since I started teaching 7 years ago. I ALWAYS get at least two sinus infections in a school year, and I ALWAYS get one by now. I usually get a cold or the flu or something. My friend said, "It's probably because you've been eating so healthfully." And all the sudden, I realized, this may be true! Since changing my eating habits almost a year ago (light on the meat and dairy and very heavy on the fruits and veggies and whole grains), I haven't been sick yet. I'm not saying I'm immune, I'm just saying, that's one difference in my life since my lifestyle change. (Now that I've mentioned this little miracle, I'll probably start getting sick, oh, tomorrow).

3. Today is the second Monday in a row that Fabio and I got dressed to go to the gym, and then didn't go. Last week, the parking lot was full and it was raining and we didn't want to have to walk in the rain. This week, after we got dressed, Fabio kept getting work calls. By the time he hung up, it had been an hour, and we were too hungry to go. These two excuses probably make us the most pathetic people in the whole world.

4. The Nannerpussus came for a visit! And Nanner came AGAIN last week because he loves us so much! For those of you (that would be most of you) not in on the inside joke, about a year ago, Abbie (my sister) sent this video around to all of us siblings:

Nannperpuss Video

My sister-in-law, Bridget, served her mission in Japan, and so we wondered how you would say "nannerpuss" in Japanese. She determined that it would be "nannerpussu." To our delight, after doing a YouTube search, we found this:

Asian Nannerpuss

From the moment we saw this video (and laughed, on the ground, for about an hour), we could not call Dane and Bridget anything else.

Now that you know the story...The Nannerpussus came a few weekends ago, and Nanner (Dane) came last weekend again. Dane is doing an internship with Continental Airlines, so they can fly standby for free. Bridget was gone last weekend, and Dane just loves us so much, he came back to be with us. Sorry, no pics to prove the blast we had both times, but let's just say, there was walking in Discovery Park, ferry ride to Bremerton, drive through Gig Harbor, dinner at our favorite restaurants, hanging out in cafes. I must say, we're pretty good hosts.

5. I'm so glad the Australian Open is going on right now. It's relieving my cravings for some solid pro-tennis action. I'm still waiting to see my not-so-secret crushes, Fed and Rafa.

6. This picture speaks for itself (but, you know me, I'll still speak some more about it):


Fabio’s life has been consumed by setting up his law practice in Gig Harbor. Yes, not Seattle. Gig Harbor. We’ve been in love with this little town on a peninsula northwest of Tacoma for a long time. Maybe you can see why:

Today was really the first day he’s been “open for business." Last week he was busy putting furniture together, visiting his neighbors and other relevant town folk. I’m very proud of his hard work, and there are a lot of reasons to be hopeful that Gig Harbor is the right place for us. As of now, our plan is to move there this summer. This story will continue to unfold as time passes.

In the meanwhile, here are a few pictures of his office and evidence of his hard work last week:




7. I am REALLY missing this right now:

I'm feeling like I would not be opposed at all to moving back to Europe.

13 comments:

Abbie said...

Um, where the *bleep* was I when all this discussing about Fabio opening up his practice in Gig Harbor? I remember you guys talking about what a cute little place it was but I didn't know it would be like one month later.

On a side note, I would LOVE to come up and visit sometime (I don't know when) and go around taking pictures to put up in Fabio's office. :)

Abbie said...

OMG, I just watched the Nannerpus commercial and cracked up. Scott thinks we're crazies for thinking it's funny.

Unknown said...

My in-laws live in Gig Harbor. We're always going up there. What a small world. It's so beautiful up there. Good luck!

Aunt Beth said...

Loved the update as I was getting a bit tired of "Sweet Potato Bake."

Office looks great Fabio.

Does Gig Harbor know what they're in store for when you two arrive on the scene?

Since it's past my bedtime I'll wait to watch THE video until tomorrow as I don't want to get too worked up from laughing as hard as it sounds like I might and not be able to fall asleep.

Melissa DeLeon said...

LOL - truly random "musings", but whatcha gonna do, right?

Seattle has been crappy-weathered lately, which (understandably) makes you long for Switzerland. BUT, you have to admit that the mild winter weather sure is nice.

Gig Harbor is a cute little town, and a lot of the South Kitsap Schools are in need of teachers, so I don't doubt that it will be a good fit... so much so you won't even mind looking for a job for the 4th year in a row. ;)

Bridget said...

We love you guys! Way to go Mr Ambrossio! Looks great.

Okay, side note. So when I read this, the words nanerpuss just flowed so naturally in my mind that I didn't even realize the rest of the world might not actually get what you were talking about. Ha ha. Thanks for taking care of my lonely Nanner this weekend.

mom/Janet said...

Can't wait to see the office in person and Gig Harbor. The good health from good eating really inspires me......however, I don't get sick.

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

Emalie, this post alone has made me fall in love with you all over again. I love the Nannerpuss commercial--highly hi-larious! That is so exciting that Fabio has opened his own practice. That is a lot of work.Good for him.

We have some good friends that moved from Gig Harbor about a year ago and they always talked about the quaintness and cuteness of the town. Glad you are enjoying it.

Emily said...

wahoo! if i need a lawyer in gig harbor! i love the area and you'll fit right in.

Jana said...

Too funny, my in-laws live in Gig Harbor! Now I WILL get to finally see you sometime in the future! Love you

Mrs. Olsen said...

The office looks good! Good luck with opening a practice, it's really a roller coaster!

Jeanna said...

Congrats on the new firm! How exciting!!

What kind of law is he going to practice??

Dale said...

Such a good post. Congrats to Fabio on getting his new office set up. I can't believe my little Nanerpuss has grown up! As far as Switzerland goes...take me with you! :)