Friday, January 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Bake-YUM!

3 cups fusilli (spiral) pasta (or other similar shape)
1 head kale, chopped
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (I just used one really big one)

Sauce:
1 1/4 cup soy milk (I used almond, but I don't see why you couldn't use cow's milk too)
1/3 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (I found this in a health food store, similar to Whole Foods. It was in the bulk aisle. It is yellow and flaky and smells/tastes cheesy)
3 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
2 tablespoons margarine
1 tablespoon tahini (I think this is so similar to hummus, you could just use that)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 pinch nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
black pepper to taste
bread crumbs for topping (optional)

Step 1: Boil the pasta
Step 2: Two or three minutes before the pasta is done, throw in the chopped kale. When the pasta is cooked and the kale is bright green but tender, drain and set aside.
Step 3: Chop the sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Boil in salt water until tender but not falling apart. Drain.
Step 4: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 5: To make the sauce, blend all remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend well for several minutes until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Taste and season if necessary.
Step 6: Combine the pasta, kale and sweet potatoes with the sauce and stir well. Place in a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve.

3 comments:

Abbie said...

I just got home and checked google reader and the two posts were up so I am so happy that you posted the recipe! I meant to ask you about it but hadn't gotten around to it. We will definitely be trying this next week. And tahini looks like hummus but is sesame seed paste. One could probably use olive oil but it would have a different taste of course.

Aunt Beth said...

I think I'll go into the spice selling business!

I KNEW Abbie would be the first responder.

Mercedes said...

thanks for sharing this. we are going to try it this week. i love the idea of eating things without dairy and milk when you make things at home--but then enjoying these foods when you go out. smart! i'll let you know how the recipe works for us!