Wednesday, January 21, 2009

America's Big Moment is the World's Biggest News

Today's newspapers (I saw at least 3) all had spreads covering President Obama's inauguration. I can make an assumption that if the indifferent Swiss care so much about a big moment in American history, so does the rest of the world. Did the world care so much when any of the other presidents were sworn in? I have no idea. All I know is that the significance of America electing an African American as their leader means a lot, to not just the diverse population in America, but it means a lot to the world.

On a slightly different note...I suppose that some would say I lean left, but I still hold some conservative ideals. I read an article (thanks to a friend posting it on facebook) by an American conservative on FrontPage Magazine. His name is David Horowitz, and I actually read a book of his, Uncivil Wars: The Controversy Over Reparations For Slavery , in preparation to teach in inner city Washington, D.C. I don't know much about Mr. Horowitz, but I know his book, in a way, changed my view of the world. I have many friends and family who would claim to be conservative more than I would. This article is written for conservatives, and Horowitz articulates brilliantly what many conservatives must be thinking. However, with his life experience and vast knowledge of history, culture and politics, he states some facts that just might make you a little more comforted with President Obama at the wheel.

I encourage you to take just 10 minutes and see what you think...

http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=168D778B-BB43-4090-BBD1-515F0B003F7B

1 comment:

Emily said...

so being a conservative as you know I totally get the awesomeness of yesterday. I celebrated that things have changed in our country to allow this to happen. I watched as history unfolded but I was not moved to tears when he spoke. I blogged about what I thought. I read Mr. Horowitz' article but don't think that conservatives as a whole truly fall into the description he gave. I have republican friends from the campaign who were at inaugural balls, doing coverage for cnn, there on on the mall watching. I am just as patriotic today as I was last week and it's frustrating that people felt there was nothing to fight for nothing to be proud of last week but there is today.